My view on Crochet by Numbers

By 10:00 AM ,

I have been looking at crochet by numbers and just recently came to the decision that I will not be purchasing it.



WHY?!

Well, I have been looking at the website, Crochet by Numbers, and researching the topic for quite some time.  While the completed projects are BEAUTIFUL and very well done, I've never really got an instruction as to how to complete one of the free patterns available on the site.  Looking through the free patterns is, at the very least, INTIMIDATING.  It's like someone that knows very little about computers getting a page of HTML code and told to read it AND comprehend it!  With pages upon pages of codes (each one referring to various information) full of nothing but numbers, it's quite overwhelming.  Each number means something different, from color of yarn to number of stitches, as well as the row count and location within the row.  It's like reading HEX code or binary code for a computer, LITERALLY INCOMPREHENSIBLE TO THE UNEDUCATED!



SO WHAT NOW??

I did find out it's completely done in single crochet.  There are an inconceivable amount of color changes in which there are NO "secrets or "tricks".  You just finish off the color and weave in the ends.  That's what really makes me skiddish about doing an actual photo afghan.  I'd be spending over half the project time weaving in ends.  Oh well, beauty is pain, right?!




MY SOLUTION TO ACHIEVE THE SAME RESULTS

I think I'll stick to graphs!  I am currently looking for a free or cheap software program that can convert pictures into graphs, even for cross stitching.  I have tried a few already and have found them unsatisfactory.

Maybe my next research project will be to find out if photoshop is able to do this, as I already have photoshop.  Maybe, just maybe, that is what Todd Paschall uses?!

Stay Tuned for updates concerning Crochet Photo Afghans

If you would like to connect with Danielle further, Join her on Facebook at Crochetto
So my questions to you are:
  • Have you checked out Crochet by Numbers?
  • What is your view on the subject?

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Dani, I have done a number of a Crochet By a Number patterns and they do turn out quite beautiful. I have even done small pieces (pillow size) of Elvis and President Obama. They are smaller and faster to make. The issue however is that you are NOT taught how to make your own patterns, and it can be expensive to purchase additional patterns from Todd ($50-75) for additional patterns. To be fair, when you buy the class (you don't buy the program as it is NOT available) you get a practice pattern, a personal pattern and a free pattern from the patterns for sale on the website. There are also 6 free additional patterns you have access to on the website. Of course it's understandable that this is how Todd (the owner and creator) makes his money, it just feels like you should be able to learn to make your own patterns. I also checked out Lee a Mac at www.Totallee.net. She has tons if free patterns and a very comprehensive learning video for this type of crochet. She learned Crochet by Numbers, then went on to learn "how to make her own patterns".rather than reveal how she did it, she challenged people to find their own way. Well....I was able to also. The difference with our (mine and Lee) way of working our patterns is that ours is written out like regular crochet. Todd's way may seem intimidating at first, but it's actually easy (if you know what the numbers mean). I really enjoy working these crochet portraits and the beautiful results you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started doing crochet by numbers and once you get the jest of how it is done it is not hard to do. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, I have done my own crochet patterns and all I do is chart them on graph paper. I did find "crochet graph pattern" for free on a website but haven't used it yet. I also chart my own counted cross stitch designs but use counted cross stitch graph paper that comes in the sizes of the material; such as 14 ct, 11 ct, etc. Also when I use more than one color, you just use put the first color on top of the row that you are crocheting and crochet over it, add the new color, and drop it as you change colors. This is technique is also on youtube videos. Then I don't have to weave in so many ends. The only thing I want to learn is how to make a picture turn into a bigger afghan size picture. I have also seen where someone inserted a picture on an excel spreadsheet as a graph pattern for an afghan. I like to chart my own on graph paper. I guess the trick is to enlarge the picture you want then trace onto graph paper to fit the boxes so the stitches come out right. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd Paschall is a thief and a liar and and scam artist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was considering purchasing the class. Could you elaborate?

      Delete
  5. Hi Dani,

    PC Stitch 10 is great. It does everything and it's worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about PC Stitch 10. I used to have this software and it was great. I created some really beautiful pieces. I think that the great thing about this software is that although it produces many different colors, you can alter it. For instance, if the picture that you input into the software produces 10 different colors for the background, you can change it to one color.

      Delete
  6. I found this site to upload pictures and create graphs
    http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI there, the best way to do portraits and do crochet by number is to download two programs that are free and you get the same result as what Todd does. You need Gimp and KPG(knitting pattern Generator. You load your pic into Gimp, scale the image index it to the amount of colours you want and save by exporting it to your desktop as a png image. you then load it into kpg and voila it makes a written pattern for you. All done within minutes. This is so easy to do and to crochet people must wonder why they spent hundreds of dollars on classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I use these 2 programs I love the fact it is in written form as well as a pic . I crochet also so it was easy

      Delete
  8. There is a site called myphotostitch.com and on here go to the advanced and it has written pattern for crochet that it makes from your graphic or photo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly believe that Todd Paschall didn't make any software program that he uses to do pic patterns. I think he just discovered GIMP and KPG through Internet search and viola he totally invented it. He is a fraud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dani,
    The pic you have used looks intimidating, however if you would like to check the page before the pattern it has a table with the colours and numbers beside it. This allows you to follow the pattern. I have taken the class, and working towards becoming an accredited teacher, if you can follow a number pattern, from other sites, you will be able to follow a CBN pattern easily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use winstitch, you can convert patterns to crosstitch or Tunisian crochet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ever tried knit pro 2.0? It's free and online http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/ there are other programs like that free on the internet :) good luck

    ReplyDelete