Book Review: Kingdom Woman

By 10:00 AM

Recently I finished the book, Kingdom Woman by Tony Evans and Chrystal Evans Hurst.





If you would like to read the Q&A with the authors, you can find it HERE
If you would like a copy of the book, you can find it HERE

"Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "A woman is like a teabag.  You never know how strong it is until it's in hot water." Dr. Tony Evans, Kingdom Woman (p.1)

The Book as a Whole and the Author 
This Father/Daughter team are excellent.  The book flows smoothly.  Hurst's writings coincide with her fathers, but are written from a woman's stand point.  I also fell in love with how Hurst presented her writings, in a journal format.  Dr. Tony Evans is a well-known author amongst the Focus on the Family crowd, having written over 60 books.  Evans shows us his expertise in the field, quoting various bible verses to influential persons throughout history.  The mix of down-to-earth writing that backs the theology style is absolutely captivating.
What intrigued me the most about this book was that it covered the SINGLE woman.  Most Christian woman books are written from the wife/motherly perspective.  Seeing as I have never been married nor gave birth, it's hard for me to see the relevance and application within my personal life.  While a chunk of this book is written from that same perspective; it does cover the single woman.  It renewed my esteem in being single and understanding that God has plans for me that may not include marriage.  As Dr. Evans wrote, "The moment you become distracted by the idea of singlehood being nonfulfilling--on desiring or chasing after a mate rather than waiting on God's plan for your life (whether or not that includes a mate)-- you have let your singlehood get in the way of God's purpose." (Kingdom Woman, p.142)

My Favorite Parts
I always enjoy a book that contains humor.  Dr. Evans and Mrs. Hurst slip in humor throughout the book.  I found myself giggling at the words written on the pages.
My two favorite parts just happened to be riddled with comedy.  One was the comment that Socrates supposedly made (found on p. 152) pertaining to marriage.  Sorry, I am not going to share it; you'll need to get this book.  The other was a story of an elderly lady's faith in God as a provider.  She lived beside a man that argued that God doesn't exist.  The lady's faith never wavers nor does her praise.  Soon, she begins to have some financial issues and struggles to find the funds to feed herself.  Her non-believing neighbor decides to "call her" on her beliefs and prove that God doesn't exist.  He purchases groceries and delivers them to the lady's home.  When she starts praising God for providing, the neighbor jumps out declaring he purchased the groceries and God did not provide them for her.  To which the elderly lady replies, "Jesus gave me these groceries--and made the devil pay for them."  Hilarious!

What I Got From The Book
I got a peaceful feeling and a renewed sense of faith, especially dealing with being single so close to the age of 30.  Reading Dr. Evans discuss the importance and freedom of being single and able to focus on God, renews my wavering faith.
I enjoyed the book very much.  I am only giving it four stars because, although I enjoyed it very much, most of the book was about playing the wife/mother role.

I give it:
The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for this review.

If you would like to connect with Danielle further, Join her on Facebook at Crochetto

So my questions to you are:
  • Have you read this book?
  • What other advice about this topic would you share with others?

You Might Also Like

0 comments